Sunday, February 18, 2007

Phones


Just tried to upgrade my mobile phone. Bored of my retro classic NOKIA 8310e cutting out every time I try to write a text message. My friends (both of them) have started to notice that I don't write texts any more. Anyway, upgrading is rubbish. They try get as much out of you as they can, paying no heed to the fact that you've been a loyal customer since the dawn of mobile phones (it's all about 'new business' these days).

There are also roughly 400 phones to choose from, when all you want is your faithful NOKIA 8310e, but in working condition, and perhaps with a little camera and a nice screen. Instead you get a hulking piece of chrome with so many functions you'll never fathom what half of them do, and with 3G Bluetooth megapixels coming out of its fair behind.

And then they baffle you with fiendishly complicated combinations of text message bundles, free minutes, magic numbers, off-peak, on-peak, landline and video minutes, and ensnare you into a £60 a month contract for the next five years, cos it seemed like the best value at the time. And that's another thing - what's all this about 18 month contracts? Isn't a year long enough?

Despite all this, I actually rather like technology, and I was in the shop getting rather excited about the prospect of a spangly new phone when the helpful assistant, having spent roughly 30 minutes talking me through the many contract permutations and totally useless phone functions, realised I wasn't actually due an upgrade until 5 March. So that was that.

Interesting blog, no?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home